The mission of FASA – Fiber Artists of San Antonio is to maintain and advance fiber as an art form through the education of its members and the general public [Read more…]
SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
December meeting will be Sunday, 10 Dec, 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 12 Nov 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, witha full group of passionate, although somewhat damp, artists. [Read more…]
Meeting Time: 10:00 a.m. – Noon, Monday, December 11, 2017.
San Antonio Garden Center 3310 N. New Braunfels Avenue, SATX 78209.
Authored by Lyn Belisle.
For December: Holiday Pot Luck – and a program that will make you feel all warm and furry!
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”
― Anatole France
Mark your calendars for the Heaven & Nature Sing Art Exhibition, December 7, 2017 through January 7, 2018 at the Kerr Arts and Cultural Center, 228 Earl Garrett Street, Kerrville, TX 78028. Two of the three artists featured are FASA members Caryl Gaubatz, Art-to-Wear, and Lynn Luukinen, Abstract Paintings. Attend the Artist Talk Saturday December 9, 2017, 1:30 p.m. and stay for the Reception, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
To download a PDF poster, click here: H&NS poster
Members in the news: Caryl Gaubatz, Connie Akers, Rachel Edwards Ridder, Dale Jenssen, Linda Rael, and Lyn Belisle
authored by Lyn Belisle
The ArtWear Biennial – Congratulations, Caryl!
Agostina’s Eyes by Caryl Gaubatz (center) ArtWear/Fashion Week 2015
The ArtWear Biennial in Ft. Collins CO is a celebration of wearable art and fashion filled with exciting events including a theatrical Fashion Show, a Sales Gallery with garments by artists and designers from around the country, fiber art demonstrations, lectures, workshops and more. The juried show and sale is a fund-raiser for the Lincoln Center’s Visual Arts program.
Caryl Gaubatz was first juried into the show in 2015. Her work appears again this year. Artists submit 3 garments for the jurying process . After the artist is juried in, he/she may submit up to 5 pieces; these do not have to be the same works that were juried.
Caryl Gabautz, Channeling Sonia, ArtWear Biennial 2017
Connie Akers & her dyeing partners working together as Eco & Indigo Fiber Arts will be participating in the Wimberley Fitness Holiday Sale. This event is Nov 16th, 5-8 pm at Wimberley Fitness, 501 Old Kyle Road Suite 110
Wimberley, Texas 78676. Come out & start your holiday shopping.
From Rachel Edwards Ridder – coming up at the San Antonio Art League :
From Dale Jenssen, who, along with other FASA artists, will be at the Uptown Art Stroll –Dale says, I will be set up at 183 Thorain… this is a great studio tour… almost 100 participating artists in all!
Robin Early will be there, too -just around the corner:
Kathy Furukawa Legacy Fund
Shannon Weber Presentation – February 12, 2018
Shannon Weber – a 3D mixed media artist extraordinaire
At the February 2018 FASA general meeting, nationally known contemporary mixed media artist, Shannon Weber, presents Keep Your Options Open: Building a Materials Vocabulary – a program about how nature inspires and provides materials for Shannon’s work; how the process of building vessels creates a new object mythology diverting from the initial ‘stories’ of the components; and how you too can acquire a fearless approach to your artwork.
Shannon describes herself as a process driven artist. It’s the making that generates the creativity and it’s the tactile experience that drives experimentation to an ever expanded expression.
In this program you will discover how self-taught, working artist, Shannon Weber goes beyond re-purposing materials to incorporating disparate substances with layered processes to create something unique, original that epitomizes avant-garde 3-D art.
November meeting will be Sunday, 12 Nov, 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 8 Oct 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a full group of passionate artists. We welcomed a new member, fleeing from the loss of her home in Rockport during Hurricane Harvey. Although we are sorry for her many losses, we are glad she found us in her new hometown of San Antonio.
Journal prompt for this month is “What we are thankful for.” It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it! If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home; map/travel; design a logo for your name; the first day of school, and Halloween.
Many artists turned in their Storylines! Can’t wait to see them hanging.
We will have the FASA members’ installation of Storylines again this year in conjunction with the FASA Annual Show.
If you still have a Storyline, it’s not too late, come help us install your piece directly in the Incarnate Word Semmes Hall on 10 Oct, in the morning.
This is a non-juried installation all about supporting your creative efforts. No threat! No stress! Just have fun, create, and show us what you made!
We had a great show last year, let’s do it again!
- FASA 43rd Annual Juried Fiber Art Exhibit.
- When and Where: Kelso Art Center’s Semmes and Student Art Galleries at the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX. Art will hang Oct 13 through Nov 17, 2017.
- Juror: Doshi, a nationally known and highly respected costume designer and surface design artist who resides and teaches in the San Diego, California area.
Calls for Entry:
- Art On Broadway – Fine art show and sale at Lions Field Park Dec 8 from 10-5https://www.sanantonio.
gov/ParksAndRec/Parks- Facilities/All-Parks- Facilities/Facility-Details/ ArtMID/16234/ArticleID/2878/ Facility/4
- Apply electronically for submission June – Aug at firstname.lastname@example.org but be patient, Sunnee checks the account about once a week right now.
- Booth = $60 for 10 x 10 or you can share for $75. FASA can rent a booth as an organization if someone is interested in heading that up.
- Life Along the Rio Grande
- Description: 35 contemporary mixed media fiber art works measuring 32” wide by 48” long.
- Eligibility: SAQA members in New Mexico, Texas, and Colorado/Utah/Wyoming
- Theme: The wonderful variety of living things along the vitally important Rio Grande River. Work could explore historical or cultural themes, scientific or geological topics, or social and environmental issues touching the flora, fauna, and people of the Rio Grande.
- Selection: this show will NOT be juried- the first 35 works entered will be accepted to the initial venue. A waiting list of additional pieces will be maintained to replace pieces that are sold.
- Call for entry issued March, 2017
- Entries accepted beginning November 10, 2017 at 12:01 am MST, and continuing until all 35 spots in the show are filled.
- Entry will be by simple email to Betty Busby, curator, and payment of the $35 entry fee will be made through the SAQA online store.
- Entry forms and instructions will be distributed prior to the November application date.
- The Van Gogh Cherrywood Challenge 2017 (Houston, TX)
Aug 25 – Nov 1 through 2018 (ship+show)
2018 Conference Call for Entry
- TEXtiles (SAQA Regional) – Drury Plaza Hotel • Texas members
Deadline: January 28, 2018
- This TEXtiles exhibition will welcome national and international attendees of the 2018 SAQA conference to Texas by showcasing Texas-themed work by Texas SAQA members.
- The show will be displayed initially at the conference hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio throughout the conference dates in April 2018. The theme is “everything Texas,” expressed in all sorts of art quilts, fiber art and textile surface design. Both two dimensional and three-dimensional art, including garments, will be considered.
- Call for entry issued: June 27, 2017
- Entry opens: January 1, 2018
- Deadline for receipt of entries: January 28, 2018, 11:59 p.m.
- Creations of Kerville is presenting a 40th Anniversary Quilt Challenge, “Stir what you got!”
- It will be a fun way to showcase customers’ talents, give comfort to children in our community, and celebrate our 40th Anniversary with $1,400.00 Creations’ gift certificates.
- Come by the shop and purchase one of our $15.00 strip sets like those in the photo. These contain 3 yards of fabric in various strip widths that are loosely coordinated. Use it in combination with your own fabric to create a quilt. Completely finish it, turn it in to Creations by March 12th, 2018 and have a chance to win a one of our gift certificates.
- We encourage you to enter as many quilts as you would like as they will all go to the Rainbow Room in Kerrville. The Rainbow Room is a “store” that CPS case workers can go to and select new items that have been donated or purchased through donations. These include mostly the essentials, but what a wonderful opportunity to have quilts available for selection as well. The Rainbow Room is funded totally by donations. Each entry must be accompanied by the official entry form which is given with each bundle purchased. All of the donated quilts will stay within our county.
- Your quilts will go to children so we are suggesting that the size be no smaller than 30″ wide and no longer than 70″ tall. These are just guidelines. All quilts will be loved.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Support our Harvey refugee and pick up some luscious wearable fiber art. https://
- https://www.spoonflower.com/ a great custom print website, you can use it to create your own fabric. They are adding to their fabric options, recently adding cotton velvet. One artist recommended you first purchase your print as wallpaper to see if you really like it or if you need to tweak it. Great way to bling up your closets with these wallpaper samples.
- Hill Country Retreat at 4550 Del Web will have a show Oct 21-22 with free admission and parking. If you are interested in a booth, please see Sue Corbett. Some profits will go to benefit Harvey survivors.
- An artist said the Dollar Tree is carrying Aleene’s glues but you have to check both the craft and school sections to find it. Very inexpensive. She also recommended Elmer’s Glitter Glue in silver and gold saying they “stuck like a rock” and looked great (at Michael’s).
- Speaking of Aleene’s glues, her daughters have a channel on Youtube called “cool2craft” Go to www.youtube.com and search “cool2craft” and a lot of great shows will pop up.
- https://fabricfunhouse.com/ a local vendor from New Braunfels sells cork fabric. It’s really neat stuff.
- An artist recommended http://www.
craftours.com/ for great artistic vacations.
org/ 2017 Uptown Art Stroll is coming up Nov 4-5, with two of our FASA artists showing out of the house on 183 Thorain.
- An artist brought in two wonderful pieces she made with her beloved batik scraps (with one piece incorporating tatting from her grandmother).
- Two artists, who routinely challenge each other, brought in their reimagination of the Harbor Freight canvas bags. They also showed their new fabric beads they made in a class.
- We discussed different ways to help the Harvey survivors and the impact on the artist enclaves along the coast.
- We discussed small art groups and group projects with an artist telling us her group were finally able to get their group project into the Annual Show and encouraged everyone in a small group to “go for it!”
- Terry Puckett discussed her upcoming Guatemala tour in May 2018 and says there’s room for 14 people over 9 days. Please contact her at email@example.com for details. Terry also discussed the upcoming “Masks of the Heart” workshop June 10, 2018. Details are on the FASA website.
Annie gave a wonderful presentation on the history and uses of amulet bags. She passed out kits and then walked us all through the various steps. Tara brought in her stash of semiprecious stones, each with a different metaphysical characteristic and allowed us all to choose the stones we wanted to use to make our lives flow more smoothly. Both artists were incredibly generous to give of their time and stash and we can’t wait to see what everyone made!!!
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
Month/Location Topic Presenter November Gelli Plates Cyndi and Sandee December Holiday Party Everyone!
- Next Presentation: Gelli plates with Cyndi and Sandee!!!!!
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chairperson
Photos from the SPUTNIK MEETING
Kathy Furukawa Legacy Fund
Shannon Weber 2 Day Workshop – February 10 & 11, 2018
You don’t want to miss this incredible opportunity to work with Shannon Weber, nationally known contemporary mixed media artist whose main focus is on vessel development utilizing multi-layer surface design. From her full-time studio in Cottage Grove, OR, Shannon creates woven objects and sculptures from various fibers.
Shannon’s works have been broadly exhibited, awarded and collected nationally in places such as the Lancaster Museum of Art where she won the “Fiber Art National Award of Excellence,” and her works are part of the permanent collection of the Mulvane Art Museum. Shannon also held a three-month residency at the Sitka Center for Art and Ecology in 2009. Her work has been seen and featured in publications about fine crafts and fiber such as the National Association of Women Artists in New York Surface Design, Encaustic Art Magazine, Fiber Art Now, American Style, Fiberarts, American Museum and NW Artisan.
Shannon will present at the February 12th, 2018 FASA meeting. She will teach a two-day workshop at the Southwest School of Art on February 10th and 11th. This will sell out quickly.
Workshop: Approaching Woven Objects and Vessels in Innovative Ways
This workshop is for those who want to push the boundaries of basket weaving concepts and processes with the use of reclaimed materials and found objects in conjunction with nature’s organic materials. Think of this class as a “Candy Box Sampler”. The workshop explores the use of many interesting materials in a “small vessel and object” format providing an opportunity to mix materials and play with techniques.
As part of the workshop materials kit, Shannon provides each attendee an array of surprising, eclectic and usually-not-thought-of organic and inorganic materials to demonstrate basketry skills such as random weave, coiling and rib construction. She will also show how to use repetitive layers of basic stitching and cold connections to create inviting textured surfaces that invoke visual movement as the layers blend together.
This is a process oriented workshop with a self-described fast-paced task-master.
Appropriate for all skill levels.
Registration opens: November 13, 2017
Registration: email Lynn Luukinen – firstname.lastname@example.org –intent to participate
Workshop Fee: $135.00 – see flyer for specific instructions – payment due by January 8, 2018
Materials Kit Fee: $70.00 – supplied by instructor – paid at opening of workshop
Supply List: Minimal – see attached
Location: Southwest School of Art – Droste Design Studio
Full details and registration information here: Shannon Weber Workshop Flyer Feb-2018
Workshop materials list here: Shannon Weber Workshop Supply List Feb-2018
Authored by Lynn Luukinen
Meeting Time: 9:30 a.m. – Noon, Monday, November 13, 2017.
San Antonio Garden Center 3310 N. New Braunfels Avenue, SATX 78209.
Authored by Lyn Belisle.
For the Annual Cobweb Sale, FASA members have cleaned out their studios and treasures await!
What you can buy… art books, hand dyed fabrics, paints, dyes, brushes, and much more! Cash and checks accepted at sale. Doors open to buyers at 9:30 sharp.
See highlights of the 43rd Annual Juried Exhibit with this 10:18 minute video, courtesy of Lyn Belisle.
Want to see the art in person? Art will hang Oct 13 through Nov 17, 2017 at the Kelso Art Center’s Semmes and Student Art Galleries at the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX.
Please join us for the opening reception for FASA’s 43rd Juried Exhibition!