Authored by Carmen Goyette.
August meeting will be Sunday, 13 Aug at 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 9 July 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a lot of new-to-SPUTNIK, spirited and passionate artists in attendance. Everyone was excited about their artistic creations, eager to share with the group, and very eager to try indigo dying.
Journal prompt for this month is “design a logo for your name.” It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it! If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home; map/travel.
Most important Call for Entry (besides the FASA Annual Show)!!! Start your Storylines now!
We will have the FASA members’ installation of Storylines again this year in conjunction with the FASA Annual Show.
Please let Carmen know you want to submit a Storyline by emailing her email@example.com with “Storyline Submission” in the subject line and state your name, contact info, and how many you plan to submit by 1 Oct. It’s okay to notify her early (now!) if you want.
Your Storyline needs to be 4-6 inches wide, 6-8 feet long, and have a pocket (or some other method) that will allow us to slide a small dowel through and hang the Storyline from hooks on the ends of the dowel.
Deliver your storylines on 8 Oct to SPUTNIK; 9 Oct to FASA; or help us install your piece directly in the Incarnate Word Semmes Hall on 10 Oct, in the morning.
This is a non-juried installation all about supporting your creative efforts. No threat! No stress! Just have fun, create, and show us what you made!
We had a great show last year, let’s do it again!
Calls for Entry:
- Fiber Artists of San Antonio (FASA) is currently seeking fiber artists to enter the FASA 43rd Annual Juried Fiber Art Exhibit. Artists are invited to submit up to 5 pieces completed within the last two years for consideration ($35 entry fee). The juror’s final selections will be hung in the Semmes and Student Art Galleries at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio TX, Oct 13 to Nov 17, 2017. There is no theme, all types of fiber art are eligible (including 3-D), and collaborations are welcome; prizes will be awarded at the opening reception Oct 13, 6-8 pmat the galleries.
- The call opens on August 1, 2017and closes on September 4, 2017.
- For details and online entry: http://www.FASAentry.org
- If you work in fiber of any kind, you are eligible to enter your artwork in the upcoming43rd Annual Juried Fiber Art Exhibit!!
- When and Where: Kelso Art Center’s Semmes and Student Art Galleries at the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX. Art will hang Oct 13 through Nov 17, 2017.
- Juror: Doshi, a nationally known and highly respected costume designer and surface design artist who resides and teaches in the San Diego, California area.
- The Greater San Antonio Quilt Guild is sponsoring “Salute to Texas” 2017 Quilt Show –http://www.sanantonioquilt.org/pages/QuiltShow.html
- Entries are due no later than July15, 2017.
- September 22-23, 2017
- Friday 9 am – 6 pm
- Saturday 9 am – 5 pm
- San Antonio Event Center: 410 W & Marbach
- Several folks in FASA/SPUTNIKare engaged in this effort as well and told the group they are short of submissions and really looking for more people to enter. There will be a FASA table at the show and you can volunteer to be a FASA spokesperson (3 hour windows) and get our word out to folks. Of course if you volunteer you get free admission to the show. See Annie Centano for details.
- Excellence in Fibers 2017 http://fiberartnow.net/artist-submissions/
- Submission deadline: October 1, 2017
- Notification: by October 31, 2017
- Exhibition Catalog Release: December 10, 2017
- Exhibition at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles: October 19, 2018-January 13, 2019
- $1800 in prizes!
- SEAD Gallery is calling for “Intersections” – Works selected will include textiles rooted in traditional and contemporary approaches to fiber art. Open to artists working in: all types of materials, 2D, sculpture, video and installation art. Techniques include but are not limited to: weaving, quilting, knitting, sewing, dyeing, felting, needlework, lace making, basketry, beading. Artists may enter up to 5 pieces of art into the show. http://seadgallery.com/
- Showcasing Central Texas fiber arts
- Deadline to enter pictures with fees ($25)– 14 August 2017
- Show: Sept 21 – Nov 11
- To apply, please visit com/shopto pay for your submission fee. Paying your submission fee is your application.
- Art On Broadway – Fine art show and sale at Lions Field Park Dec 8from 10-5https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndRec/Parks-Facilities/All-Parks-Facilities/Facility-Details/ArtMID/16234/ArticleID/2878/Facility/4
- Apply electronically for submission June – Aug at firstname.lastname@example.org be patient, Sunnee checks the account about once a week right now.
- Booth = $60 for 10 x 10 or you can share for $75. FASA can rent a booth as an organization if someone is interested in heading that up.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- An artist gave an outstanding presentation on different ways to maximize Jo-ann’s coupons.
- Ewe and Eye in Boerne (yarn shop) is going out of business and having sales. http://ewe-and-eye.com/
- In Comfort, across the street from The Tinsmith’s Wife, (a needlepoint shop)http://www.tinsmithswife.com/is a spinning, weaving, felting, rug hooking shop called The Loom Room. http://www.theloomroom.net/
- Ric Dentinger, a wonderful watercolorist, gives lessons at Herweck’s Art Storehttp://herwecks.com/on Wed mornings. http://ricdentinger.com/art/
- Memories by the Yard http://memoriesbytheyard.com/is a great place for quilt fabric.
- The Mesquite Bean http://www.mesquitebeanfabrics.com/is also a great quilt store, sign up for their emails. They don’t send many but when they do, they are flash sales.
- Las Colchas http://www.lascolchas.com/is a great, San Antonio specific, quilt store with really unique fabric.
- Henry’s Attic (no website) sells colored mohair. Get in touch with Sue Corbett for contact details on the store.
- Tres Rebeccas https://www.facebook.com/TresRebecasused to be a fabric store. Now you can make appointments to go see the fabric through their facebook page.
- If you have junk (especially heavy, hard to move junk) call 1-800-got-junk and they will come pick it up and haul it off. Min $125 and they charge by volume. Recent pick up was 5 matresses (which cost more because they take up so much space), a pool table, and a huge grill. Picked up out of the residence and taken away for $235. A great deal for those of us needing help hauling off the large items.
- Dharma Trading http://www.dharmatrading.com/has all your dye needs but they also sell “blanks” (such as t-shirts, dresses and hats) for dyeing.
- Matthew Mangold at Mangold and Mangold does great upholstery. Mangold & Mangold Upholstery Inc, 2544 Macarthur Vw, San Antonio, TX 78217, (210) 733-1309
- If you’re looking for out of print or hard to find books, including art books, craft books, etc, go to Abe books https://www.abebooks.com/
- As part of show and tell, those folks participating in the art journal project displayed their interpretations of maps.
- We also had some folks show the creations they made with their Kraft-tex samples from last meeting. Some wonderful, beautiful stuff.
- We discussed Michelle Carragher http://michelecarragherembroidery.com/whom many of you might know, does the embroidery on the costumes for Game of Thrones. Her website shows many, exquisite details.
- We looked at “confetti quilt” pictures from one artist who really enjoyed her recent class.
- Annie discussed her position as the FASA liaison to the Greater San Antonio Quilt Guild and she asked for volunteers to work 3 hour shifts as FASA ambassadors at the upcoming quilt show. If you volunteer you get a free pass to the show. Contact her Annie Centano (anniecentenoT1@gmail.com) for details.
- An artist showed the flowers on her hat she and another artist had made by singing polyester. They were very fun and vibrant.
- An artist inspired by our prolific art journal artist made two quilt tops! They were wonderful and one of them used Frieda Caldo material from Las Colchas.
Jean discussed the history and basics of indigo dyeing and then released the hordes to the indigo pot. Jean started by skimming the crust off the indigo and setting it aside. Then we all started dipping. It was great fun and there were lots of ooohhhs and aaahhhs as the indigo changed from green to blue on the fabrics. An awesome presentation!
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|August||Annual Show Pictures||Rebecca & Ida|
|November||Something fun!!!||Cyndi and Sandee|
- Next Presentation: Annual Show Pictures
- In an effort to help out those folks submitting for the Annual show, Rebecca is going to speak on best ways to photograph entries and Ida will also be available to take pictures for those folks who bring their entry.
- Kitty is opening her home to us for the September meeting!!!! She has an old, old home and three outbuildings stuffed with stuff saved by three generations of professional hoarders. She says to bring your family and let them fish and explore while you enjoy SPUTNIK and explore.
- She is at 9741 Nelson Rd, 78252 but the GPS sometimes has problems so:
- Exit off 1604, not Persall Rd
- Exit Macdona/La Coste Rd (4 mi from 90, 3 mi from 35)
- Go down ramp, turn right follow “KJ” sign
- Go under rail road
- You are NOT LOST!!!
- She is at 9741 Nelson Rd, 78252 but the GPS sometimes has problems so:
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair