By Diana Kellerman [Read more…]
FASA General Meeting Minutes
13 March 2017
This meeting was called to order at 11:25 at the San Antonio Garden Center, 2210 N. New Braunfels, San Antonio, TX by President Caryl Gaubatz. [Read more…]
Meeting Time: 10:00 AM, Monday, July 10, 2017
San Antonio Garden Center 3310 N. New Braunfels Avenue, SATX 78209.
Authored by Lyn Belisle.
Caryn Moir, Yarnivore
Caryn believes that fiber arts are soul satisfying and therapeutic. Her goal for Yarnivore is to make it a happy place for the fiber community and to support the community in their craft. In addition to yarn, tools and books, Yarnivore offers classes and private lessons in crocheting, knitting, spinning, weaving and several lesser known crafts such as naalbinding.
Caryn says: What Is A Yarnivore?
Well, if a carnivore is an animal that gets its energy from eating meat, then it’s only a small stretch to think that a Yarnivore is someone that gets their energy from playing with yarn, right? Yarnivores are people obsessed with fiber – lace through bulky, cotton through cashmere.
Guess what? Yarnivore will set up a mobile shop for shopping after Caryn’s presentation.
Bring your purse,checkbook, credit card what ever…..buy, buy, after all Christmas is just around the corner in terms of making those wonderful hand made things!
Caryn has supported the FASA through the purchase of full page ads in our fashion show program for many years. Yarnivore has contributed to the silent auction as well.
Authored by Carmen Goyette.
SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
July meeting will be Sunday, 9 July at 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 11 June 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a vibrant group of artists in attendance. Everyone was excited about their artistic creations for the month and eager to share with the group.
Journal prompt for this month is “Map/travel.” It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it! If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home.
Start your Storylines! We will have the member’s installation again this year in the fall. 4-6” wide and 6-8 ft long. We had a great show last year, let’s do it again! Deliver your storylines on 8 Octto SPUTNIK; 9 Oct to FASA; or straight to the Incarnate Word Semmes Hall on 10 Oct. I’m still nailing down people who will take the storylines from you, but the dates are final.
If you plan to submit a Storyline, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Storyline Submission” in the subject line and tell me your name, contact info, and how many you plan to submit by 1 Oct.
Calls for Entry:
- Deadline for “Made in Texas” entries extended to July 1!”
o Want to have your quilt hanging in the Texas Quilt Museum? This brand new exhibit will feature quilts of any style, subject, or technique, from piecing and appliqué to embroidery, thread painting, photo transfer, and manipulated fabric.
o Submission is open to all active members of any quilt guild throughout the state of Texas.
o Deadline for entries has been extended to July 1, 2017.
o Find out more at http://www.callforentriesmadeintexas.com/
- The Greater San Antonio Quilt Guild is sponsoring “Salute to Texas” 2017 Quilt Show –http://www.sanantonioquilt.org/pages/QuiltShow.html
o Entries are due no later than July 15, 2017.
o September 22-23, 2017
- Friday 9 am – 6 pm
- Saturday 9 am – 5 pm
o San Antonio Event Center: 410 W & Marbach
- Excellence in Fibers 2017 http://fiberartnow.net/artist-submissions/
o Submission deadline: October 1, 2017
o Notification: by October 31, 2017
o Exhibition Catalog Release: December 10, 2017
o Exhibition at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles: October 19, 2018-January 13, 2019
o $1800 in prizes!
- SEAD Gallery is calling for “Intersections” – Works selected will include textiles rooted in traditional and contemporary approaches to fiber art. Open to artists working in: all types of materials, 2D, sculpture, video and installation art. Techniques include but are not limited to: weaving, quilting, knitting, sewing, dyeing, felting, needlework, lace making, basketry, beading. Artists may enter up to 5 pieces of art into the show. http://seadgallery.com/
o Showcasing Central Texas fiber arts
o Deadline to enter pictures with fees ($25)– 14 August 2017
o Show: Sept 21 – Nov 11
o To apply, please visit seadgallery.com/shop to pay for your submission fee. Paying your submission fee is your application.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Art On Broadway – Fine art show and sale at Lions Field Park Dec 8 from 10-5https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndRec/Parks-Facilities/All-Parks-Facilities/Facility-Details/ArtMID/16234/ArticleID/2878/Facility/4
- Apply electronically for submission June – Aug at email@example.com but be patient, Sunnee checks the account about once a week right now.
- Booth = $60 for 10 x 10 or you can share for $75. FASA can rent a booth as an organization if someone is interested in heading that up.
- Click this link for pdf of exhibitor application
- Pop-Up Exhibition: 6 Texas Artists | 8 Summer Days | 1 Cool Museum
June 17, 2017 to June 25, 2017
Since 2015, the McNay brings together works of art by South Texans in a pop-up exhibition, this year in the newly renovated Tobin Exhibition Galleries. Five individuals from the San Antonio area, plus one based in Austin, present works in a wide range of materials and exploring diverse subject matter, selected by René Paul Barilleaux, Head of Curatorial Affairs. Embracing the McNay’s purpose—to open new doors through empowering artists—6 Texas Artists | 8 Summer Days | 1 Cool Museum invites both the participating artists and Museum visitors to celebrate the rich artistic visions and vibrant creative communities of South Texas.
Jane Dunnewold’s most recent objects explore antique quilts originally made from salvaged clothing and fabrics as sources for new sculptural compositions. Based in San Antonio, Dunnewold is a fiber artist, teacher, and author.
- Greater New Braunfels Arts Council is hosting “Fall into Art” in Oct –https://www.gnbarts.org/fall-into-art
- Urban Elementz in New Braunfels https://www.urbanelementz.com/ has great patterns with adhesive for applique as well as amazing decals
- “Fabulous Fabric Beads” by Crystal Wick was recommended as a great book for making beads.
- Save the Date! – Cuban Mixed Media workshop lead by Alehandrina Cue is coming up a year from now 9-10 2018 at the SW School of Art – a separate email with all the details was sent through theFASA email tree.
- An artist verified “The Fig Leaf” discussed at last meeting is a great thrift store, with thrift store prices – 2142 Austin Hwy, San Antonio, TX 78218
- Save another date! SAQA will be in San Antonio April 2018 and FASA will be doing lots of stuff in coordination with SAQA. Stay tuned for more!
- An artist showed her scrap fabric purse she used as an ice breaker on a recent cruise. She gets her scraps at Fabrics Etc in Dallas and loves the scrap bags.
- In discussions on handmade postcards, we discovered a website that lets you send post cards to children. Send Kids the World features kids with life threatening illnesses and injuries and enables you to reach out to them and send them encouraging postcards from all around the world. http://sendkidstheworld.com/
- They make E6000 spray!!!! https://www.amazon.com/E6000-Adhesive-Spray-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B00JP3X9R4/ref=sr_1_1/142-2414253-4954364?ie=UTF8&qid=1497837892&sr=8-1&keywords=e6000+adhesive+spray
- We talked about setting our stuff free again and the needs of new teachers. A great option to solve both issues is SparepARTS!
- The link to sign up with SparepARTS email list is: http://sparepartssa.org/wp/give/
- When you sign up, they will ask if you are a K-12 teacher, or “general”
- Shirlene can help if you with your stuff – she can be reached firstname.lastname@example.org
- As part of show and tell, those folks participating in the art journal project displayed their interpretations of home. We had some wonderful entries, to include another full quilt from one of our artists. We told her she should do a show of all her pieces whenever we finish the journal project.
Sunnee and Phyllis presented Kraft-Tex and gave everyone a hand out. They discussed the properties of this textile (it’s paper!) and different ways to use it. It’s the stuff they use to make the brand label patch for your Levi Jeans. They gave everyone samples to try and also requested we make nametags with the white sample. All around great presentation with take home project work.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|June||Kraft-tex||Phyllis and Sunnee|
|October||Something fun!!!||Cyndi and Sandee|
- Next Presentation: Indigo Dying
- For the July indigo dye presentation, please bring fabric to dye, no larger than a fat quarter.
- Natural fibers work best.
- Fabric must be washed and damp.
- Bring a ziplock bag to take the wet fabric home
- Kitty is opening her home to us for the August meeting!!!!
- She has an old, old home and three outbuildings stuffed with stuff saved by three generations of professional hoarders. She says to bring your family and let them fish and explore while you enjoy SPUTNIK and explore.
- She is at 9741 Nelson Rd, 78252 but the GPS sometimes has problems so:
- Exit off 1604, not Persall Rd
- Exit Macdona/La Coste Rd (4 mi from 90, 3 mi from 35)
- Go down ramp, turn right follow “KJ” sign
- Go under rail road
- You are NOT LOST!!!
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair