SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
April meeting will be Sunday, 8 April, 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 11 March 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a full group of passionate, artists, minus me, I was enjoying Spring Break out of town with my family. Lily graciously took notes for the minutes.
- Sunny Rakowitz is hosting a Storylines workshop for the Children’s Transplant Organization. She needs instructors for the Storylines techniques to teach the staff at the Transplant organization. Contact her firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
- The first staff workshop will be on April 18th at the Ronald McDonald House. That will not be the only opportunity, just the first of what we project to be several throughout the next few months. I expect about 5 -10 of us to collaborate with the staff members on that day.
- Here is a list of items I project we will/could/might use for the project. It is not considered a complete or exhaustive by any means and we will use whatever we have and can accumulate between now and the Rotary cutters, scissors (both paper and cloth), self-healing mats (I have a big one I will bring, but it might be nice to have 1-2 smaller ones.) measuring tapes, rulers, fabric marking pens, pencils,Sewing threads, hand sewing needles, thimbles, freezer paper, iron and ironing board (I’ll bring mine) Crayons, heavy paper or card stock, Yarn, lace, buttons, fabric scraps with interesting motifs, fabric glue, stencils and colored Derwent pencils or others, paintstiks, iron on adhesives and anything else you think could be combined into a Story Line. You can chose which items you need for demoing…we will all bring stuff, don’t think you have to bring everything on this list
- Lastly, please bring your beautiful, creative, artistic Story Line(s) so we have some examples.
- If you would (please) like to demonstrate your talent at a demo table, please tell me what you will demo and how long you think it will take to show. We will demo some after the viewing of the Story Lines and then break into groups to work.
- This should get your creative juices flowing.
- There will be adults and children working with their families when we help with the general groups later on.
Great news! Gail McGlammary’s visit and demonstration was amazing and all enjoyed her visit.
We have started back up with art journaling in 2018! We took a break for March’s prompt but will have a prompt in April. If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home; map/travel; design a logo for your name; the first day of school, Halloween, what we are thankful for, and selfies. It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it!
Calls for Entry:
- International Quilt Festival presents Power of Women – Online entries from April 16 – July 13, 2018 http://
- Fiberart International 2019 seeks to exhibit the best of contemporary art and invites submissions that reflect a wide range of works related to the fiber medium. The exhibition is recognized around the world as a benchmark that documents trends and innovations in the field. The goal of the exhibition is to include innovative work rooted in traditional fiber materials, structure, processes and history, as well as art that explores unexpected relationships between fiber and other creative disciplines.
- Entry Deadline: 8/31/18
- Entry Fee (Fiberart International 2019): $45.00
- Fiberart International 2019
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Marisol Deluna Foundation 1st Annual Community Fashion Show – Friday, March 23, 2018, 1-3 pm; San Antonio Garden Center, 3310 N. New Braunfels Ave 78209 – Marisol’s show went beautifully, lots of FASA folks sold their art and the kids did a great job strutting their stuff on the catwalk.
- The Yellow Rose Fiber Fiesta South Texas’ Spring Fiber show is April 27-28 at the Sequin Guadalupe Coliseum. Past attendees say it’s lots of fun. Visit the website for more info and to sign up for classes. http://www.
- Another place to visit in April is the DFW Fiber Fest. April 5-8, 2018 Irving Convention Center, Irving, TX. See website for more details! http://dfwfiberfest.org/
- An artist demonstrated making quilt squares quickly with a variety of fabric, and brought in a quilt made of men’s neckties.
- An artist brought her crocheted Fiesta Baby blankets.
- Doris Miller has vintage linens to disperse, if you want some contact Doris.
- An artist brought is projects from Susie Monday’s iPad art class. She used the apps Colorburn, doodledandy, and Pixir.
- Penny brought her knitted caps. She is also the knitting instructor at JoAnn’s on 410.
- Several artists displayed the results of their journal challenge with various selfies.
- One artist who emphatically took up the idea of small works every day brought in her multiple projects. Her small works every day have multiplied her creativity.
- Alicia had some of her own work and impressions of the studio tour of On and Off Fredricksberg Rd.
- Terry Gay brought a work that she had done from techniques she learned at an Alejandrina Cue workshop and spoke highly of the experience.
- Janice shared about up and coming artist Laura Owens who is showing at the Dallas Museum. She also brought a book a collage artist, Lance Letscher that she likes, also up and coming, and she brought photos of some of her recent works of wearable fabric art.
Gail McGlammary’s visit was enjoyed by all. She had some amazing yarn and demonstrated making the art yarn.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|March||Art Yarns||Gail McGlammary|
|April||Alcohol Inks||Cyndi and Sandee|
|July||Indigo Dye Day||Jean|
Next Presentation: Next presentation will be alcohol inks by Sandee and Cyndi.
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair