SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
March meeting will be Sunday, 11 Mar, 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 11 Feb 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at2 pm, with a full group of passionate, but cold, artists.
Great news! Gail McGlammary will be giving a presentation on art yarns at our March meeting! Come join the fun!
We have started back up with art journaling in 2018! February’s prompt involves “selfies.” We passed out some sample cutouts of models for artists to add their selfies onto. You can use any form of art, collage, paint, straight pictures, whatever, and if you don’t want to use the sample cutouts, put your selfie on anything you choose. Enjoy! If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home; map/travel; design a logo for your name; the first day of school, Halloween, and what we are thankful for. It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it!
Calls for Entry:
- Creations of Kerville is presenting a 40th Anniversary Quilt Challenge, “Stir what you got!”
- It will be a fun way to showcase customers’ talents, give comfort to children in our community, and celebrate our 40th Anniversary with $1,400.00 Creations’ gift certificates.
- Come by the shop and purchase one of our $15.00 strip sets like those in the photo. These contain 3 yards of fabric in various strip widths that are loosely coordinated. Use it in combination with your own fabric to create a quilt. Completely finish it, turn it in to Creations by March 12th, 2018 and have a chance to win a one of our gift certificates.
- Fiberart International 2019 seeks to exhibit the best of contemporary art and invites submissions that reflect a wide range of works related to the fiber medium. The exhibition is recognized around the world as a benchmark that documents trends and innovations in the field. The goal of the exhibition is to include innovative work rooted in traditional fiber materials, structure, processes and history, as well as art that explores unexpected relationships between fiber and other creative disciplines.
- Entry Deadline: 8/31/18
- Entry Fee (Fiberart International 2019): $45.00
- Fiberart International 2019
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- The Yellow Rose Fiber Fiesta South Texas’ Spring Fiber show is April 27-28 at the Sequin Guadalupe Coliseum. Past attendees say it’s lots of fun. Visit the website for more info and to sign up for classes. http://www.
- Another place to visit in April is the DFW Fiber Fest. April 5-8, 2018 Irving Convention Center, Irving, TX. See website for more details! http://dfwfiberfest.org/
- Bandera Fiber Arts Retreat and Festival March 19-23 for workshops and March 24 for the public event
- A new member owns Suzoo’s Wool Works https://suzoos.com/ and is a big supporter of this Arts Retreat
- Marisol Deluna Foundation 1st Annual Community Fashion Show – Friday, March 23, 2018, 1-3 pm; San Antonio Garden Center, 3310 N. New Braunfels Ave 78209
- An artist recommended The Secret Lives of Color by Kassia St Clair as a great book on the history of colors. Secret-Lives-Color-
- An artist recommended Artistry in Fiber, Vol. 3: Wearable Art by Anne Lee , E. Ashley Rooney, Foreword by Susan Taber Avila, Foreword by Margery Goldberg http://www.
schifferbooks.com/artistry-in- fiber-vol-3-wearable-art-6302. html
- An artist displayed a sample of work done with oil pastels. They can be made color fast on fabric with ironing. Pentel-Arts-Pastels
- The Culinary Institute of America (CIA), San Antonio has a pop up bakery at the Pearl now through April in the Nao restaurant, open from 8 am to 2 pm. The pastries are amazing! https://www.ciachef.
- If you are interested in creative prompts, try https://creativepassport.
- There’s also Rae Missigman’s Art Marks challenge on Instagram with daily word prompts – #raesnewchallenge #februaryartmarkslove #artmarkschallenge
- If you like needlework try https://www.
inspirationsstudios.com/ There’s a neat challenge for a 4” x 4” embroidery area if you are interested.
- The San Francisco School of Needlework and Design has an open challenge to encourage and inspire people to stitch. Anyone at any level of expertise may participate. Notice it says “stitch” not embroider so can include anything with “stitches.” http://www.
We had a number of artists report back about their success with doing “small bits,” such as 10 minutesof sewing or painting or creating; a discussion point in our artistic resolutions. They found that while it doesn’t seem like much, by the end of the week they had real progress on their project. So, let go of the stress, do a small bit, and watch your projects take off!
We continued to discuss the FASA Member Installation for 2018, Kenectivities, and are excited about it. Produce a 12” x 12” piece of textile art with movement of some kind in it. Movement could be light sparkling, ethereal pieces floating in the wind, hands on a clock, a zipper that folks can move and interact with, any manipulative piece that folks can interact with, and on and on.
We also recommitted to the SPUTNIK group entry for the FASA Annual Show next year and handed out more of the pages for the “Diversity of Art” book we will produce. The pages are 12” x 12” with the area for art at 9” x 12” to allow for the binding. Front and back of the page will be covered in art. We need someone to produce the cover as an artist has already volunteered to produce the back. Book pages are due to Carmen by July! Carmen will bind the pages together and submit the item for the show. If you are interested in creating a page, please contact Carmen or Jean Dahlgren. This is open to everyone in FASA (Because if you are a FASA member you are a SPUTNIK member and vice versa)!
We had great fun making necklaces with Craft Fantastic materials! Phyllis and Sunnee hosted a wonderful event and we all left with some beautiful jewelry. It was a very simple process with beautiful results, give it a try. https://www.craftfantastic.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|March||Art Yarns||Gail McGlammary|
|April||Alcohol Inks||Cyndi and Sandee|
|July||Indigo Dye Day||Jean|
- Next Presentation: Art Yarns!
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair