SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
December meeting will be Sunday, 10 Dec, 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 12 Nov 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, witha full group of passionate, although somewhat damp, artists.
We are taking a holiday break from our journal prompts for this month. If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home; map/travel; design a logo for your name; the first day of school, Halloween, andwhat we are thankful for. It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it!
Calls for Entry:
- Art On Broadway – Fine art show and sale at Lions Field Park Dec 8 from 10-5 https://www.sanantonio.
gov/ParksAndRec/Parks- Facilities/All-Parks- Facilities/Facility-Details/ ArtMID/16234/ArticleID/2878/ Facility/4
- Apply electronically for submission June – Aug at email@example.com but be patient, Sunnee checks the account about once a week right now.
- Booth = $60 for 10 x 10 or you can share for $75. FASA can rent a booth as an organization if someone is interested in heading that up.
- TEXtiles (SAQA Regional) – Drury Plaza Hotel • Texas members
Deadline: January 28, 2018
- This TEXtiles exhibition will welcome national and international attendees of the 2018 SAQA conference to Texas by showcasing Texas-themed work by Texas SAQA members.
- The show will be displayed initially at the conference hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio throughout the conference dates in April 2018. The theme is “everything Texas,” expressed in all sorts of art quilts, fiber art and textile surface design. Both two dimensional and three-dimensional art, including garments, will be considered.
- Call for entry issued: June 27, 2017
- Entry opens: January 1, 2018
- Deadline for receipt of entries: January 28, 2018, 11:59 p.m.
- Creations of Kerville is presenting a 40th Anniversary Quilt Challenge, “Stir what you got!”
- It will be a fun way to showcase customers’ talents, give comfort to children in our community, and celebrate our 40th Anniversary with $1,400.00 Creations’ gift certificates.
- Come by the shop and purchase one of our $15.00 strip sets like those in the photo. These contain 3 yards of fabric in various strip widths that are loosely coordinated. Use it in combination with your own fabric to create a quilt. Completely finish it, turn it in to Creations by March 12th, 2018 and have a chance to win a one of our gift certificates.
- We encourage you to enter as many quilts as you would like as they will all go to the Rainbow Room in Kerrville. The Rainbow Room is a “store” that CPS case workers can go to and select new items that have been donated or purchased through donations. These include mostly the essentials, but what a wonderful opportunity to have quilts available for selection as well. The Rainbow Room is funded totally by donations. Each entry must be accompanied by the official entry form which is given with each bundle purchased. All of the donated quilts will stay within our county.
- Your quilts will go to children so we are suggesting that the size be no smaller than 30″ wide and no longer than 70″ tall. These are just guidelines. All quilts will be loved.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Enlighten is a great product to clean old linens. www.Kleerwite.com has more info on it.
- There’s a new pop up store at the Pearl called Shop Marte (next to Niche) and it looks like fun.
- “Printmaking without a press” by Linda Germain has instructions for making gelli plates.
- Gelli Arts has a subscription channel on YouTube if you want to see more about using gelli plates.
- Several artists discussed their experiences at Houston. Everyone enjoyed their time and we had a great discussion on the various pieces on display and the plethora of things to buy.
- An artist brought in a variety of material ordered from Spoonflower. The artist had taken images, manipulated them on an iPAD (using Susie Monday’s techniques), and ordered samples.
- Two artists, who routinely challenge each other, brought in wonderful dollar store skeletons they had dressed up in various, amazing costumes, and presented them with their characters’ backstories. They were wonderful and opened up a discussion about finding another artist (or two) to pair with to challenge and feed you creatively.
Cyndi and Sandee brought a gelli plate and showed the group the different ways to use the plate. They made bunches of prints on different materials and also showed several items made from the prints. Lots of color and creativity on display! Both artists were wonderful teachers and brought new ideas to the group.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|March||Alcohol Inks||Cyndi and Sandee|
- Next Presentation: Holiday Party!
- The group discussed submitting a group project for the 2018 FASA Annual Show. We plan to build a book titled “Diversity of Art” with pages made by SPUTNIK artists. Carmen will hand out 9” x 12” muslin pages for each artist to produce fiber art on the front and back. Carmen will then bind the pages together and submit the item for the show. Send Carmen an email if you are interested in joining in on this project.
- The group also discussed options for the next FASA members’ Art Installation, assuming the non-juried exhibits will continue. We talked about ideas that are interesting and stretch us creatively but also are approachable and accessible for all talents. One idea we discussed in depth was doing art pieces, no larger than 24” x 24” with movement in them; something kinetic. Movement could be light sparkling, ethereal pieces floating in the wind, hands on a clock, a zipper that folks can move and interact with, any manipulative piece that folks can interact with, and on and on. We thought about calling it “Kineticivity” to bring together movement and connections. Still in discussion, if you have any other ideas, please email Carmen.
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair