FASA General Meeting Minutes
8 MAY 2017
This meeting was called to order at 10:00 am at the San Antonio Garden Center, 2210 N. New Braunfels, San Antonio, TX by President Caryl Gaubatz.
- Minutes for general meeting held on 10 APR 2017 are approved as electronically transmitted to the members.
- Treasurer’s Report
- As of 30 APR 2017, we have a total of $93,638.84 in all our accounts.
- No old business
- SAQA conference will be 5-8 APR 2018
- 1st Vice President (Programs)
- June program will be Molly Beaufait, a senior at UT, Denton. She had a fiber major and will be talking about what is new, what her peers are doing, what is challenging as a new artist, what she would like to gain from us, more experienced artists.
- July: Yarnivore; The speaker, Karen will have a shop set up and will be speaking on all things yarn.
- Aug: Entering the annual exhibit
- Sep: Elaine Lipson
- Oct: Cobweb sale
- Nov: Amanda Claire Miller
- Dec: Potluck
- Jan: open
- Feb: Shannon Weber
- Mar: Susan Oaks
- Apr: Carrie Brown
- May: open
- June: Alejandra Cue
- Jul and Aug: open
- Sep: How to enter the annual exhibit
- 2nd Vice President (Annual Exhibit)
Rebecca Lilly Segura and Ida Spence
- FASA 43rd Annual Juried Fiber Art Exhibit
- Enter up to 5 pieces (completed within the last 2 years) for the entry price of $30 member, $35 non-member
- Freestanding artwork and wearables are acceptable
- Opening Reception: Fri., Oct. 13, 2017, 6-8 p.m.
- Exhibit on display: Fri., Oct. 13 – Fri. Nov. 17, 2017
- Semmes & Student Gallery
- Tentative Time Line:
- Call opens: 1 AUG 2017
- Call closes: 3 SEP 2017
- Notifications: emailed 21 SEP 2017
- All selected art work received: 9 OCT (meeting date)
- Install: TBD 10-12 OCT
- Reception and awards: 13 OCT, 6-8 PM, UIW
- This year we will use Art Call for the online entry process. This will streamline the entry process for everyone. Plus, the company will help promote our call worldwide on their website. For a look at some of the calls that they have open and get a feel for the front end, go to: artcallforentries.com
- 4th Vice President (Scholarships)
- Will know how much money we have to award in scholarships at the end of May.
- Rheta Kissler thanked all who helped with the silent auction which raises funds for FASA scholarship awards: roughly we made around $4,000 to award.
- Linda Talley reported that FASA printed 2500 tickets with the goal of selling at least 2000 of those; total sold was 1749 of which 1020 were sold at FASA meetings, 429 sold at the Runway show, and 300 elsewhere. All the money has been turned in to the treasurer.
- Thank you for submission; please forward it to your friends; deadline is 25th of the month.
- FASA 43rd Annual Juried Fiber Art Exhibit
- Thank you to Carla who helped hostess the Garden Center Event last Wednesday
- Studio Tour: Thursday at Jean Dahlgren’s studio; meet at 10:30 am at Jean’s and we will have lunch afterwards at LaFonda
- Fi-Bar: This is a way we can learn from each other; the purpose of the Fi-Bar volunteer is an advisor in her area of expertise. It is only a 30 minute commitment (9:30 – 10:00); please let Sherry know if you would be able to volunteer.
- Garden Center Flower Show: Saturday, 20 MAY in the afternoon and Sunday, 21 MAY from 11am to 4pm; free admission.
- Garden Center Luncheon Style Show: 21 MAY, fashions by Chico’s; $35 reserve seating.
- Dues are to be paid in June or July, $35.00. To streamline the membership renewal process, your information will be preprinted on a membership form at the next meeting where you can review it, make changes if needed, or approve as is by initialing the form.
- A hard copy directory will be available this year for $3.00.
- Community Service
- Thank you for supporting the Food Pantry
- FASA artists who contributed art to the Say Si “Small Scale” auction were listed in the newsletter.
- Two sewing opportunities for charity: kits available for Days for Girls and fidget blankets for Alzheimer’s patients.
- Please record the hours you spend in support of FASA in the book at the membership table.
- Ad Hoc Committee for Say Si
- Jean and Sherry Christensen met with Steven Guzman at Say Si to talk about an association between FASA and Say Si. Say Si is developing a survey for their students and included in this will be techniques and different ideas they have about fiber and learning about fiber. When the survey is complete, Say Si will have Sherry and Jean proof read the fiber arts section to make sure the understanding is right. FASA will be working with Say Si to conduct workshops for the students possibly during their practicum time, November and December. Details are still being worked out.
- There will be a teapot on the hospitality table where you can make monetary donations to help support providing food items at the meetings.
Installation of New Board Members
- Caryl gave thank you gifts of hand-dyed socks presented in hand-made boxes to all the current board members who served in this fiscal year.
- Bonnie Davis resided over the installation of the incoming board members:
- President: Caryl Gaubatz
- 1st VP (Programs): Kate Martin
- 2nd VP (Annual Exhibit): Rebecca Lilly Segura
- 3rd VP: (vacant)
- 4th VP (Scholarships): Sherry Christensen
- Secretary: Sue Riddell
- Treasurer: Pat Ermel
- Newsletter: Lyn Belisle
Meeting adjourned at 11:45 am
Rebecca Lilly Segura