FASA Chapter By-laws
The name of the organization shall be Fiber Artists of San Antonio (FASA).
II. NONPROFIT CORPORATION
The Fiber Artists of San Antonio shall be a nonprofit corporation. When it dissolves, all of its assets will be distributed to the State of Texas or to an organization exempt from taxation under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) for one or more purposes under the Texas franchise tax.
The purposes of the organization shall be:
1. To maintain and advance fiber as an art form through the education of its members and the general public.
2. To promote appreciation and encourage support of fiber as an art form by the public through exhibitions and educational activities.
3. All organizational meetings and activities will further serve educational, charitable and cultural purposes within the meaning of 501(c)(3) of the Code.
Individuals who are actively involved in the creation of original fiber art and/or who are interested in promoting fiber as art, will receive full membership status including voting upon payment of annual dues.
V. TEXAS FEDERATION OF FIBER ARTISTS
1. Fiber Artists of San Antonio shall be part of the Texas Federation of Fiber Artists. Two representatives to the Texas Federation Executive Committee will be elected by the Fiber Artists of San Antonio membership for four-year terms at alternating two-year intervals and serve as delegates to all Texas Federation of Fiber Artists meetings.
2. Act as Co-Chairs of the Texas Federation of Fiber Artists Committee during the term the organization is designated Host.
1. Meetings of the general membership are open to the general public and will be held monthly or more often if so designated by the Board at such place as may be designated by the Board.
2. Special meetings of the members for any purpose may be called by the Board at such place as may be designated by the Board. No notice of meetings is required.
VII. OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
1. The officers shall include the following: President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Third Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, two Federation Representatives, and Newsletter Editor. Each elected position has one vote whether the position is filled
by one person or shared among several. The President must have served on a previous Board. Additional officers may be elected when submitted by the Nomination Committee and approved by a majority of members present.
2. Officers shall be elected for a term of one year. The fiscal year and term of office shall begin June 1st and end May 31st.
3. The governing of Fiber Artists of San Antonio shall be by the Board of Directors (the “Board”) composed of the elected officers, the immediate Past President, and appointed Committee chairpersons.
4. The officers shall not be paid a salary for service as an officer but their expenses, if any, in connection with the affairs of the organization may be reimbursed by the organization. This provision shall not be construed to prevent an officer or director from receiving any compensation from the organization for duties other than as a director or officer.
5. The Board of Directors may appoint such other officers as it shall deem necessary. These officers shall hold their offices for such terms and exercise such powers and perform such duties as shall be determined by the Board.
VIII. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
1. The President shall:
2. The First Vice President shall:
3. The Second Vice President shall:
4. The Third Vice President shall:
5. The Secretary shall:
6. The Treasurer shall:
7. The Newsletter Editor shall:
IX. COMMITTEE CHAIRS
The President will appoint committee chairs as deemed necessary for the smooth operation of FASA. Specified duties will be assigned/outlined at the time of appointment. Committee chairs serve on the Board, have input into discussions and decisions but have no voting privileges. The following list simply acts as a guideline.
1. The Membership Chair shall:
2. The Publicity Chair shall:
X. STANDING COMMITTEES
1. The Nominating Committee shall be composed of two members appointed by the
President and three members elected by the membership at the January meeting.
2. The Budget Committee, which shall consist of the current President and Treasurer with input from the officers and committee chairs as appropriate, shall present a budget and recommend dues for the fiscal year.
1. Annual dues shall be recommended by the Budget Committee, approved by the Board, and approved by a majority vote at the meeting preceding the fiscal year.
2. Dues shall be payable to the Treasurer during the first 45 days of the fiscal year. Members whose dues are delinquent after that date shall be dropped from the membership. No notice is required.
1. The Nominating Committee shall propose a slate of officers to be announced preceding the election.
2. Elections shall be held at a meeting at least two months preceding the new fiscal year.
3. Nominations may also be made from the floor at the time of the election with the consent of the person nominated
4. An officer may be removed from office after three consecutive absences from Board meetings or for reasons deemed by the Board to require dismissal.
5. A vacancy in any office, except President, shall be filled by appointment made by the Board for the unexpired portion of the term. In the vacancy of the Presidential office, the First Vice President shall have and may exercise the powers of the President, and in the absence of the First Vice President, the Second Vice President shall serve. Should a vacancy occur by the resignation of an officer-elect, the previously elected nominating Committee shall present a candidate at the first regular meeting following the resignation.
1. The annual exhibition shall be juried by a qualified juror/jury, to be selected by the
Second Vice President with approval of the Board.
2. All work entered in the chapter’s exhibitions must be original, executed entirely by the artist, and completed within two years prior to the Annual Exhibition.
3. Rules pertaining to each exhibition shall be established by the Exhibition Committee and approved by the Board.
XIV. ANNUAL FINANCIAL REVIEW
Treasurer’s financial records shall be reviewed within 60 days of the close of the fiscal year by a Financial Review Committee appointed by the President at the beginning of the Fiscal Year. The Committee is comprised of two board members and a member at-large and chaired by one member of the Committee. The Committee is to electronically distribute the findings of the review within 90 days of the close of the fiscal year to all FASA members in good standing.
XV. STANDING RULES
Additional rules, not included in these By-Laws, will be called Standing Rules and must be approved by the Board and passed by a majority vote at any general meeting.
These Bylaws may be amended by approval of the Board after notification to the membership by newsletter or at a previous general meeting and by a majority vote of the members present at any general meeting.
FIBER ARTISTS OF SAN ANTONIO STANDING RULES
FIBER ARTISTS OF SAN ANTONIO ANNUAL EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS RULES
Update of FASA By-laws and Standing Rules, September 2013
DEFINITIONS OF FIBER
Fiber -The majority of the material used in a fiber piece should conform to Webster’s definition of “fiber.” Any material not defined as fiber may be incorporated as embellishment but may not be used as the main material.
Webster’s Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary defines fiber as:
1. A thread or structure or object resembling a thread… c. a slender & greatly elongated natural or synthetic filament (as wool, cotton, gold, asbestos, glass, or rayon) typically capable of being spun into yarn.
2. Material made of fibers.
See Webster’s Third New International Dictionary for a broader definition