SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
Feb meeting will be Sunday the 10th at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 13 Jan FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting was thoughtfully attended by a large group of resolute decision makers. We presented our artistic resolutions and enjoyed and supported each other’s artistic journeys.
Calls for Entry:
- Sacred Threads 2019: “Eye Contact: creating a connection” – deadline: May 31, 2019 http://www.sacredthreadsquilts.com/html/iseeyou.html
- The dimensions are 23″ wide x 5″ high
- Human Eyes – Looking at the Viewer
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Blue Bonnet Shop Hop is coming up – 28-30 March – a nice selection of near and a little further out fabric stores. www.bluebonnetshophop.net
- Austin Creative Reuse Store is a great place to donate, knowing your stuff will be greatly appreciated by other artists, and to shop http://austincreativereuse.org/
- Jerry’s Artarama is a great next level art store (above Michaels, like Dick Blick), with classes. There’s a local store on San Pedro, but here’s the national website: https://www.jerrysartarama.com/
- Since I talked about it, here’s Dick Blick: https://www.dickblick.com/
- If you’re interested in making and donating tiny things, Threads of Love makes outfits for preemie babies: https://threadsoflove.org/
- Go to Fiesta on Main and find Fiesta, other party stuff, and Mexican embroidered dresses all year around. If you go around Fiesta, it will be packed, so schedule wisely. https://www.alamofiesta.com/
- The McNay is hosting a show with something for everyone! Starting Valentine’s Day through Mother’s Day they will be showing American Dreams: Classic Cars and Postwar Paintings. Thursday nights are free, sponsored by HEB. https://www.mcnayart.org/exhibitions/upcoming/american-dreams-classic-cars-and-postwar-paintings
- We had a discussion about joyfully setting things free. Speaking of, Marie Kondo is a tidying expert, best-selling author, star of Netflix’s hit show, “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo,” and founder of KonMari Media, Inc. It’s in the news since the show was released on Netflix on 1 Jan. Her book is about 6 years old. https://konmari.com/
- One of our artists is famous! She made a 3 ft by 24 ft granny square blanket for artist Kent Twitchell to use as a model for his mural “The New Freeway Lady” http://www.kenttwitchell.org/murals/newfreewaylady
- We had a BLOWOUT of a discussion about how to use Clorox Clinging Bleach Gel as a fabric discharge. Artists were running out the door to go buy it and experiment with it…on fabric…
- Forrest Hills Library is hosting a FASA exhibition, “I Felt Creative” Wednesday, January 23 – Saturday, March 23, 2019, and several of our artists have provided felted work to show. Please go support! https://www.mysapl.org/Events-News/Events-Calendar/id/for?trumbaEmbed=eventid%3D131030469%26view%3Devent%26-childview%3D
- FASA is hosting our annual fashion show on April 13th at NW Marriot https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/satnw-san-antonio-marriott-northwest/ There will be vendors and if you are interested in being a vendor, please contact the Fashion Show Chair.
- We all discussed our artistic resolutions, were affirmed by our artistic tribe, and had a great time.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|January 2019||Artistic Resolutions||Everyone!|
|June||4th of July ornaments||Annie|
|July||Recycling Art||Sandy and Cyndi|
|August||Altered Altoid Tins||Sandy and Cyndi|
|December 2019||Holiday Celebration!||Everyone!|
- Next Presentation: Feb – Kitty Pins
- We will be making “Kitty pins” in remembrance of our friend, Kitty. Please bring bits and bobs to add to your pin.
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair