September meeting will be Sunday the 8th at 2 pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 11 Aug FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting was attended by an extremely hot and crowded, but enthusiastic, group of artists, ready to support each other! We are requesting a return to BYOC (bring your own chair) rules for future meetings.
Calls for Entry:
· Artist Trading Cards (ATC) Swap open to FASA members! See our Prez, Deb Harris (email@example.com) if you want to sign up.
The first event was AWESOME!!!
· Criteria for ATC
· A Member’s only event
· 2 ½ inches by 3 ½ inches
· Monthly Theme – September’s theme is “What’s my name” which means take the first letter of your first name and relate to it.
· Medium – artist choice
· Be prepared to create at least 10 cards for trading – this was a good number for the SPUTNIK traders
· Creator’s name on the back
· Number the cards.
· They do not have to be identical
· Trading will take place at SPUTNIK meetings and after each general FASA meeting
· https://youratcstore.com/atc-stamps-for-atc-backs-c-109_50.html – beware this site, it MAKES you buy stuff!!!
45th Annual Juried FASA Exhibition
October 11, 2019, through November 15, 2019
Online Entry Opens: Monday, July 1, 2019
“Threads of Magic”, an exhibition at the University of Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Kelso Art Center.
Juror: Sue Benner. An innovator in her field, Benner creates complex dyed and painted textiles combined with recycled fabric to form collaged fields of pattern, color, and beauty. See her website for additional details www.suebenner.com
Eligibility: Show is open to both current members of the Fiber Artists of San Antonio (FASA) and non-members. Each individual may enter three (3) pieces of art for this show. FASA member entry fee of $30 for up to three pieces. Non-member entry fee will be $35 for up to three pieces. Artwork must be original and completed after January 1, 2017, and not have been part of a previous Fiber Artists of San Antonio Exhibition. Each piece must be primarily of textile or fiber but may incorporate other materials. The exhibition is open to wall and ceiling suspended, as well as 3D work. Hanging artwork is not to exceed 60 inches in height or width. All hanging/display apparatus must be included with the artwork.
Entry Format: Entries will be selected from the online Art Call system – www.fasaentry.org
PIECES — Non-juried segment for the 2019 FASA Annual Show
Open to FASA members
Artwork must be created since January 1, 2017
No entry fee
Artwork needs to be primarily textile, fiber or mixed media creations
Format: size 8”x10” (vertical format)
Artwork and embellishment will be contained within the piece
*Your name and contact information must be placed on the back of the submitted artwork*
Submit artwork to Pat Schulz at either FASA or SPUTNIK meetings. Deadline for submission is the September meetings. Questions? Call Pat 210-445-5401
A SENSE OF PLACE: TEXAS LANDSCAPE ART QUILTS
Deadline: May 31, 2020
From above or below, from far or near, abstracted or hyper-photographic, Texas geography, geology, and landforms inspire artists with the diversity, grandeur, mystery, and complexity that unrolls from the Gulf to the Staked Plains to the Borderlands and the Hill Country.
Artists are invited to explore their emotional connections with landscape themes and to push the boundaries of what constitutes landscape art. Literal and non-literal gestures in the work will be considered.
Juror: Joshua Willis
Online entry opens: May 1, 2020
Online entry closes at midnight: May 31, 2020
Notice of acceptance via email: July 1, 2020
Deadline for hand- and mail delivery of artwork: August 1, 2020
Exhibition closes: December 20, 2022
Excellence in Fibers V (sponsored by the Fiber Art Network)
Deadline: Midnight (CDT), Tuesday, September 10, 2019.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- FASA will have a table at BLINGFEST, Sep 28-29 10-6 pm at the San Antonio Garden Centerhttps://www.sabeads.org/sabos-bazzars-
- SAVE THE DATE! Sat, March 14, 2020, will be the next FASA Fundraiser! It will be a “tea” with entertainment for $35 at the San Antonio Garden Center. Seating for 150 with about 15 vendors. The program will be over the top designs for garments. Jurying will involve a conceptual design of the outfits. There will also be “Well over the Top” centerpieces for those that don’t do garments with a silent auction. There will be a raffle and fiesta medals!
- A good book on polymer clay but also full of good ideas for non-clay people: Mixed-Media Mosaics: Techniques and Projects Using Polymer Clay Tiles, Beads & Other Embellishments by Laurie Mika – She also has some great YouTube videos, just search her name. Mixed-Media-Mosaics-Techniques-Projects-Embellishments
- An artist recommended “Adobe Capture” to make designs from nature pictures. https://www.adobe.com/products/capture.html
- Sam’s also sells art supplies! An artist picked up a carousel of markers there.
- An artist recommended Gone Quiltin’ a great quilt store in Bandera – http://www.gonequiltinintexas.com/ On their website right now they are showing some neat math, chemistry and physics fabric.
- An artist recommended the South West Gem and Mineral Group: http://www.swgms.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organization/SouthWest-Gem-and-Mineral-Society-298326107730/
- Under “Things I can’t Live Without” a needle threader with a blade on the end, now selling at Wal-mart
- SAALM and FASA are partnering on 21-22 Sept for a pop-up shop during the Jane Dunnewold show. Go tohttps://www.saalm.org/ to sign up to sell and go see the show!
- Kim Paxon, felt artist, has some great stuff to see: https://kimpaxson.com/
- Caryl is collecting baby things to take to Africa, contact her if you want to help: Caryl Gaubatz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A member mentioned a VALUE FOR FASA MEMBERSHIP is getting the studio closing notices. Lots of art supplies at great savings and they are going to a good home!
- An artist made seed pots out of 20 years of shredded documents and repurposed alginate (leftover from a marbling project; it’s seaweed-based and biodegradable). Alginate
- An artist discussed making yourself finish a job. Helps with discipline and technique exploration.
- An artist showed fabrics dyed with old fruit and veggies. Some wonderful stuff!
- Go see Lyn Belisle’s discussion on her FASA Annual Show entry: http://earthshards.com/shards/2019/08/from-spark-to-finish/
- An artist brought in pin cushion slap bracelets that are a take-off of her “captivating characters” dolls. They were awesome!
Sandy and Cindi taught Altered Altoid Tins! We had a great make and take; they were extremely generous with their supplies and their TIME! We enjoyed making wonderful containers to capture gift cards or ATCs or anything else you can think to fit in there.
Next presentation will be FELTED BALLS with Peggy! Can’t wait!
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|January 2019||Artistic Resolutions||Everyone!|
|June||4th of July ornaments||Annie|
|July||Recycling Art||Sandy and Cindi|
|August||Altered Altoid Tins||Sandy and Cindi|
|December 2019||Holiday Celebration!||Everyone!|
· Next Presentation: August – Altered Altoid Tins
· If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
- Next year’s list:
- Mark – more marbling
- Tara – water bottle holder
- Ann – tatting
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair