SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
July meeting will be Sunday the 14th at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 9 June FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting was attended by a hot but exuberant group of artists, ready to fellowship!
Calls for Entry:
· Artist Trading Cards (ATC) Swap open to FASA members! See our Prez, Deb Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to sign up.
· Criteria for ATC
· A Member’s only event
· 2 ½ inches by 3 ½ inches
· Monthly Theme – July’s theme is “FREEDOM!”
· Medium – artist choice
· Be prepared to create at least 10 cards for trading (could go up in the future based on number of folks who sign up)
· Creator’s name on the back
· Number the cards.
· They do not have to be identical
· Trading will take place at SPUTNIK meetings and after each general FASA meeting
· https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Artist-Trading-Cards http://www.altered-art.net/make-artist-trading-cards-2.html http://gomakesomething.com/category/ht/atcs/ https://youratcstore.com/atc-stamps-for-atc-backs-c-109_50.html
· INTERNATIONAL FIBER ARTS IX EXHIBITION – August 2 – September 8, 2019 Sebastopol Center for the Arts
o International Fiber Arts IX is a juried exhibition presenting a distinct approach to innovative and traditional fiber techniques, and a contemporary concept for the use of traditional and unusual materials. The chosen work invites the viewer to experience the many facets of fiber art. Accepting both two or three-dimensional pieces including wearable and installation art.
· Apply to be a participating jewelry, fashion, apparel or home vendor at Style ’19 taking place at the Museum of Craft and Design in San Francisco. Now in its 13th year, Style is a show, sale and benefit celebrating independent contemporary craft and design. This curated event held over two days, December 7–8 and focuses on the highest quality fashion, jewelry, accessories and now, new in 2019, home. Learn more and apply at sfmcd.org/style
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
· Moon Travel: Fiber Connections – FASA exhibit at Forest Hills Branch Library 25 May – 31 July 2019
· For those who like Japanese fabric, Moda has a new line out called “Boro Prints” https://issuu.com/modafabrics/docs/59679-moda_i34_playbook_low_rezz/4
· The State of Hand Stitch show at UTSA is wonderful according to those who have attended. June 5- Aug 9 and now open M-F 10-4 because it has proved to be so popular. Several of our FASA artists have work in the exhibit. http://art.utsa.edu/the-state-of-hand-stitch Pro note: if you park in the parking garage, you have to take the ticket to the cashier inside or you’ll get stuck at the exit arm!
· An artist recommended the Rockport Tyler Vouros Show. https://www.rockportartcenter.com/rca-events-1/2019/5/18/tyler-vouros-tenebroso It’s over now but there is an upcoming Rockport Art Fest 6-7 July.https://www.rockportartcenter.com/artfest
· An artist brought in a water bottle holder she had made using Texas wild flower fabric. We talked her into doing a presentation next year to show us the pattern and technique. Beautiful and useful!
· An artist brought in the felted mouse she created at the Forest Hills demo. It was so cute!
· An artist showed us a great technique using silver air conditioner duct tape on leather and then run through an embosser. She then beaded it and turned it into a necklace. Gorgeous!
· An artist brought in a fidget blanket she made. We linked her with the FASA folks who are leading the fidget blanket charity drive.
· An artist brought in a handbag made with quilted, stabilized fabric and a printed tag ordered from Etsy to finish it professionally. This same artist brought in a scrappy quilt as you go quilt she made to both use her scraps and to overcome issues with quilting on a home machine.
· An artist brought in vintage hankies she had stabilized and then turned into pockets. A useful second life for these beautiful pieces.
· Amazon has some great, cheap stencil sets to include a mandala stencil. Go take a look around!
· An artist brought in some overdyed fabric using white on white commercial fabric overdyed with Procion dye. https://www.dickblick.com/jacquard-procion The fabric was beautifully saturated with very precise patterns showing through.
Annie Centeno showed us all how to make wonderful ornaments and pins using wood bases and vintage ephemera. Attached are her instructions. She let everyone pick a goodie she had made as a take home inspiration.
ATTACHMENT for Annie’s ORNAMENTS with WOODEN SHAPES
Next presentation will be Sandy and Cindi in July! Can’t wait to see what they bring as their recycled art in past projects has been amazingly beautiful and creative.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|January 2019||Artistic Resolutions||Everyone!|
|June||4th of July ornaments||Annie|
|July||Recycling Art||Sandy and Cindi|
|August||Altered Altoid Tins||Sandy and Cindi|
|December 2019||Holiday Celebration!||Everyone!|
· Next Presentation: July – Recycling Art
· If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
o Next year’s list:
o Mark – more marbling
o Tara – water bottle holder
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair