SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
October meeting will be Sunday the 14th at 2 pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 9 Sept FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a slightly soggy group of passionate artists, ready to dye!
We each gave a short remembrance of Kitty Janiga. She will be missed.
Calls for Entry:
- Sacred Threads – October 1, 2018 – January 10, 2019 http://www.
- Quilts submitted should explore themes of joy, spirituality, peace/brotherhood, inspiration, grief, or healing. Quilts must be an original design or an original execution of a traditional pattern.
- Quilt should have a minimum perimeter of 80″and maximum of 288″(sum of all sides). (If your quilt is close to these dimensions but does not quite meet the requirements, you may still enter your work.)
- Each quilt must have a 4″ horizontal hanging sleeve and an identifying label on the back of the quilt. Quilts exhibited at previous Sacred Threads exhibits are not eligible.
- Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition 2019 National Portrait GalleryVIEW MORE INFO
APPLY TO THIS CALL
Call Type: Competitions
State: District of Columbia
Entry Deadline: 9/7/18
Days remaining to deadline: 3
- The Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery invites artists to submit one portrait in any media for consideration in the fifth triennial Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition. This year, the focus is on broadening the definition of portraiture and highlighting the genre’s relevance in contemporary art. Artworks may originate from direct encounters between the artist and the sitter, but they may also be representative of indirect encounters. For example, judges will consider portraits that employ existing imagery or archival research as a means of responding to history. Artists are encouraged to think about portraiture’s potential to engage with the social and political landscape of our time. The competition is named for Virginia Outwin Boochever (1920 – 2005), a former Portrait Gallery volunteer whose generous gift endowed the program.
Lots of SAQA calls for entry.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Two of our artists have work that will be shown in the African American Influences on San Antonio’s History Quilt Exhibit – Please come support our fellow FASA members on 3 Oct 6-8 pm for the opening reception and then for the exhibit from 3 Oct – 9 Nov 8am-4pm M-F at the Carver Cultural Community Center 226 N. Hackberry SATX 78220 – http://events.mysanantonio.
com/event/telling-our-stories- african-american-influences- on-san-antonio-s-history- quilt-exhibit
- The San Antonio Bead Society (SABS) is holding a bazaar on Sunday with lots and lots of vendors. 30 Sept 10 am-6pm at the San Antonio Garden Center, 3310 N. New Braunfels Ave. http://www.sabeads.org/
- It you struggle with sewing through fusibles, Schmetz has a new non-stick needle out that works beautifully. https://www.schmetzneedles.
- Shabon-dama Japanese metallic threads, beautiful, lots of sparkle, try them! https://redthreadstudio.com/
- Austin Creative Reuse – http://austincreativereuse.
org/ – has a craft store for used supplies – check out the website.
- During the discussion about the African American Influences on San Antonio’s History Quilt Exhibit, it was interesting to hear the artists talk about their journey to show their work. They started with an idea that the stories needed to be told and then worked with the city to set up an exhibit to display and share their work. It’s a great example of deciding what you want to do and then going and making it happen. If you want to see something different, go make it happen!
- An artist showed her 100 mark challenge work. It was amazingly beautiful.
- There will be a pop up store at the annual show – Jean Dahlgren will be putting out more details on it.
- Kenectivities Members’ Installation is the next goal in front of us and we encouraged everyone to create something with movement mounted on a 12” x 12” x 1.5” canvas. We need the canvas to be at least 1.5” deep to keep the hanging mechanisms hidden. Michael’s is having a sale on canvas right now and the “Professional” level canvas is perfect for what we need. We discussed dangles and decided no dangles off the bottom of the piece as it might interfere with anything placed below. You can come off the canvas perpendicularly to make the piece 3D. These pieces will be part of the December FASA Annual Show so need to be ready to install by Monday, Nov 26.
- Sunny Rakowitz is hosting a “Lifelines” workshop for the Children’s Transplant Organization. She needs instructors for the Storylines techniques to teach the staff at the Transplant organization. The events have been successful and seem to be taking off with the families. At the last meeting there were 2 families with 3 lifelines in progress. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
- The Diversity of Art pages are in! The book will be bound and ready for pictures at the October SPUTNIK meeting to submit to the juried annual show.
- We got to dye lots of stuff! It was awesome! Lots of great patterns! Messy blue hands!
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|March||Art Yarns||Gail McGlammary|
|April||Alcohol Inks||Cyndi and Sandee|
|July||Studio and Stuff Discussion||group|
|September||Indigo Dye Day||Jean|
|October||Annual Show Pics||Annie Centeno|
- Next Presentation: Next presentation – November – Bonita’s Puzzle Necklace
- No need to do any prep. Just show up.
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair