Authered by Carmen Goyette
SPUTNIK Meeting Minutes
January meeting will be Sunday, 14 Jan, 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 10 Dec 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, witha full group of passionate, holiday spirited, artists.
Remember to come in Jan with 3-5 artistically affirming resolutions for 2018. Written down! We will discuss and support as a group.
We will continue with art journaling in 2018. We will have a new journal prompts in Jan. If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home; map/travel; design a logo for your name; the first day of school, Halloween, and what we are thankful for. It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it!
Artists are working on Jean’s fabric snips challenge to come up with something from the baggies of fabric pieces she handed out in Nov. Reveal will be at the January meeting. An internal mini-challenge to work using the color blue is also in play with a scheduled reveal for next month. The group had a fabulous time exchanging art supplies from our stash, setting them free to good homes. You could see the mental gears turning as artists immediately started thinking about using their new art supplies.
We discussed the guidelines for the FASA Member Installation for next year and made a change to the size, reducing it to 12” x 12” for the outer border. The idea is to have everything read the same size while the art will be varied. There may be pieces that will sit on a pedestal or may have to hang free, and we will work with those as well.
We also recommitted to the SPUTNIK group entry for the FASA Annual Show next year and discussed the pages for the book we will produce.
We ended the meeting with fellowshipping around the potluck goodies and a group picture in the beautiful weather outside.
Calls for Entry:
- TEXtiles (SAQA Regional) – Drury Plaza Hotel • Texas members
Deadline: January 28, 2018
- This TEXtiles exhibition will welcome national and international attendees of the 2018 SAQA conference to Texas by showcasing Texas-themed work by Texas SAQA members.
- The show will be displayed initially at the conference hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio throughout the conference dates in April 2018. The theme is “everything Texas,” expressed in all sorts of art quilts, fiber art and textile surface design. Both two dimensional and three-dimensional art, including garments, will be considered.
- Call for entry issued: June 27, 2017
- Entry opens: January 1, 2018
- Deadline for receipt of entries: January 28, 2018, 11:59 p.m.
- Creations of Kerville is presenting a 40th Anniversary Quilt Challenge, “Stir what you got!”
- It will be a fun way to showcase customers’ talents, give comfort to children in our community, and celebrate our 40th Anniversary with $1,400.00 Creations’ gift certificates.
- Come by the shop and purchase one of our $15.00 strip sets like those in the photo. These contain 3 yards of fabric in various strip widths that are loosely coordinated. Use it in combination with your own fabric to create a quilt. Completely finish it, turn it in to Creations by March 12th, 2018 and have a chance to win a one of our gift certificates.
- We encourage you to enter as many quilts as you would like as they will all go to the Rainbow Room in Kerrville. The Rainbow Room is a “store” that CPS case workers can go to and select new items that have been donated or purchased through donations. These include mostly the essentials, but what a wonderful opportunity to have quilts available for selection as well. The Rainbow Room is funded totally by donations. Each entry must be accompanied by the official entry form which is given with each bundle purchased. All of the donated quilts will stay within our county.
- Your quilts will go to children so we are suggesting that the size be no smaller than 30″ wide and no longer than 70″ tall. These are just guidelines. All quilts will be loved.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- See comments at top.
No presentation this meeting but we reviewed the year’s lineup and have plans for an ATC make and take and a dye day in 2018.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
|March||Alcohol Inks||Cyndi and Sandee|
- Next Presentation: Artistic Resolutions!
- The group discussed submitting a group project for the 2018 FASA Annual Show. We plan to build a book titled “Diversity of Art” with pages made by SPUTNIK artists. Carmen will hand out 9” x 12” muslin pages for each artist to produce fiber art on the front and back. Carmenwill then bind the pages together and submit the item for the show. Send Carmen an email if you are interested in joining in on this project.
- The group also discussed options for the next FASA members’ Art Installation, assuming the non-juried exhibits will continue. We talked about ideas that are interesting and stretch us creatively but also are approachable and accessible for all talents. One idea we discussed in depth was doing art pieces, no larger than 12” x 12” with movement in them; something kinetic. Movement could be light sparkling, ethereal pieces floating in the wind, hands on a clock, a zipper that folks can move and interact with, any manipulative piece that folks can interact with, and on and on. We thought about calling it “Kineticivity” to bring together movement and connections.
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair