November meeting will be Sunday, 12 Nov, 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 8 Oct 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a full group of passionate artists. We welcomed a new member, fleeing from the loss of her home in Rockport during Hurricane Harvey. Although we are sorry for her many losses, we are glad she found us in her new hometown of San Antonio.
Journal prompt for this month is “What we are thankful for.” It can be literal, abstract, whatever. Have fun with it! If you want to catch up, the prompts have been mandala; origami/folding/textile manipulation; self-portrait; home; map/travel; design a logo for your name; the first day of school, and Halloween.
Many artists turned in their Storylines! Can’t wait to see them hanging.
We will have the FASA members’ installation of Storylines again this year in conjunction with the FASA Annual Show.
If you still have a Storyline, it’s not too late, come help us install your piece directly in the Incarnate Word Semmes Hall on 10 Oct, in the morning.
This is a non-juried installation all about supporting your creative efforts. No threat! No stress! Just have fun, create, and show us what you made!
We had a great show last year, let’s do it again!
- FASA 43rd Annual Juried Fiber Art Exhibit.
- When and Where: Kelso Art Center’s Semmes and Student Art Galleries at the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX. Art will hang Oct 13 through Nov 17, 2017.
- Juror: Doshi, a nationally known and highly respected costume designer and surface design artist who resides and teaches in the San Diego, California area.
Calls for Entry:
- Art On Broadway – Fine art show and sale at Lions Field Park Dec 8 from 10-5https://www.sanantonio.
gov/ParksAndRec/Parks- Facilities/All-Parks- Facilities/Facility-Details/ ArtMID/16234/ArticleID/2878/ Facility/4
- Apply electronically for submission June – Aug at firstname.lastname@example.org but be patient, Sunnee checks the account about once a week right now.
- Booth = $60 for 10 x 10 or you can share for $75. FASA can rent a booth as an organization if someone is interested in heading that up.
- Life Along the Rio Grande
- Description: 35 contemporary mixed media fiber art works measuring 32” wide by 48” long.
- Eligibility: SAQA members in New Mexico, Texas, and Colorado/Utah/Wyoming
- Theme: The wonderful variety of living things along the vitally important Rio Grande River. Work could explore historical or cultural themes, scientific or geological topics, or social and environmental issues touching the flora, fauna, and people of the Rio Grande.
- Selection: this show will NOT be juried- the first 35 works entered will be accepted to the initial venue. A waiting list of additional pieces will be maintained to replace pieces that are sold.
- Call for entry issued March, 2017
- Entries accepted beginning November 10, 2017 at 12:01 am MST, and continuing until all 35 spots in the show are filled.
- Entry will be by simple email to Betty Busby, curator, and payment of the $35 entry fee will be made through the SAQA online store.
- Entry forms and instructions will be distributed prior to the November application date.
- The Van Gogh Cherrywood Challenge 2017 (Houston, TX)
Aug 25 – Nov 1 through 2018 (ship+show)
2018 Conference Call for Entry
- TEXtiles (SAQA Regional) – Drury Plaza Hotel • Texas members
Deadline: January 28, 2018
- This TEXtiles exhibition will welcome national and international attendees of the 2018 SAQA conference to Texas by showcasing Texas-themed work by Texas SAQA members.
- The show will be displayed initially at the conference hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio throughout the conference dates in April 2018. The theme is “everything Texas,” expressed in all sorts of art quilts, fiber art and textile surface design. Both two dimensional and three-dimensional art, including garments, will be considered.
- Call for entry issued: June 27, 2017
- Entry opens: January 1, 2018
- Deadline for receipt of entries: January 28, 2018, 11:59 p.m.
- Creations of Kerville is presenting a 40th Anniversary Quilt Challenge, “Stir what you got!”
- It will be a fun way to showcase customers’ talents, give comfort to children in our community, and celebrate our 40th Anniversary with $1,400.00 Creations’ gift certificates.
- Come by the shop and purchase one of our $15.00 strip sets like those in the photo. These contain 3 yards of fabric in various strip widths that are loosely coordinated. Use it in combination with your own fabric to create a quilt. Completely finish it, turn it in to Creations by March 12th, 2018 and have a chance to win a one of our gift certificates.
- We encourage you to enter as many quilts as you would like as they will all go to the Rainbow Room in Kerrville. The Rainbow Room is a “store” that CPS case workers can go to and select new items that have been donated or purchased through donations. These include mostly the essentials, but what a wonderful opportunity to have quilts available for selection as well. The Rainbow Room is funded totally by donations. Each entry must be accompanied by the official entry form which is given with each bundle purchased. All of the donated quilts will stay within our county.
- Your quilts will go to children so we are suggesting that the size be no smaller than 30″ wide and no longer than 70″ tall. These are just guidelines. All quilts will be loved.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Support our Harvey refugee and pick up some luscious wearable fiber art. https://
- https://www.spoonflower.com/ a great custom print website, you can use it to create your own fabric. They are adding to their fabric options, recently adding cotton velvet. One artist recommended you first purchase your print as wallpaper to see if you really like it or if you need to tweak it. Great way to bling up your closets with these wallpaper samples.
- Hill Country Retreat at 4550 Del Web will have a show Oct 21-22 with free admission and parking. If you are interested in a booth, please see Sue Corbett. Some profits will go to benefit Harvey survivors.
- An artist said the Dollar Tree is carrying Aleene’s glues but you have to check both the craft and school sections to find it. Very inexpensive. She also recommended Elmer’s Glitter Glue in silver and gold saying they “stuck like a rock” and looked great (at Michael’s).
- Speaking of Aleene’s glues, her daughters have a channel on Youtube called “cool2craft” Go to www.youtube.com and search “cool2craft” and a lot of great shows will pop up.
- https://fabricfunhouse.com/ a local vendor from New Braunfels sells cork fabric. It’s really neat stuff.
- An artist recommended http://www.
craftours.com/ for great artistic vacations.
org/ 2017 Uptown Art Stroll is coming up Nov 4-5, with two of our FASA artists showing out of the house on 183 Thorain.
- An artist brought in two wonderful pieces she made with her beloved batik scraps (with one piece incorporating tatting from her grandmother).
- Two artists, who routinely challenge each other, brought in their reimagination of the Harbor Freight canvas bags. They also showed their new fabric beads they made in a class.
- We discussed different ways to help the Harvey survivors and the impact on the artist enclaves along the coast.
- We discussed small art groups and group projects with an artist telling us her group were finally able to get their group project into the Annual Show and encouraged everyone in a small group to “go for it!”
- Terry Puckett discussed her upcoming Guatemala tour in May 2018 and says there’s room for 14 people over 9 days. Please contact her at email@example.com for details. Terry also discussed the upcoming “Masks of the Heart” workshop June 10, 2018. Details are on the FASA website.
Annie gave a wonderful presentation on the history and uses of amulet bags. She passed out kits and then walked us all through the various steps. Tara brought in her stash of semiprecious stones, each with a different metaphysical characteristic and allowed us all to choose the stones we wanted to use to make our lives flow more smoothly. Both artists were incredibly generous to give of their time and stash and we can’t wait to see what everyone made!!!
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
Month/Location Topic Presenter November Gelli Plates Cyndi and Sandee December Holiday Party Everyone!
- Next Presentation: Gelli plates with Cyndi and Sandee!!!!!
- If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chairperson
Photos from the SPUTNIK MEETING