March meeting will be Sunday, 12 March at 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 12 Feb 2017 FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a vibrant group of artists in attendance.
Calls for Entry:
- The Artist Circle presents “Threads of Resistance,” a juried exhibition of work created to protest the new administration’s actions and policies. We invite you to consider the theme “Threads of Resistance,” and create work – fiber art, art quilts, modern quilts or traditional quilts – to convey your passion, anger, or sadness about an issue that concerns you. Your work can be either positive (encouraging and unifying), or negative (portraying anger, sadness or discouragement). The entry fee is $30 for up to 3 pieces. Submissions must be a minimum of 20” wide x 20” high, and a maximum of 48” wide x 60” high.
- Feb 14, 2017: Online entry opens
- May 1, 2017: Online entry closes
- On or before June 1, 2017: Acceptances/rejections will be sent out via e-mail.
- July 10: Exhibition premieres at New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA
- July 15: Opening reception at New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA
- (Please see other info on the website: www.threadsofresistance.com (http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=05b19cc2bf&e=a9f4e3a35b) )
- Call for Entries: Barrett Art Center “We the People: Political Art in an Age of Discord”
- This a national juried art exhibition that invites artistic expressions of the political. Established and emerging artists are encouraged to submit artworks that engage with a variety of political themes and viewpoints, from the local to the global.
- Juror: To Be Announced.
- Submission Deadline: April 17, 2017.
- Exhibit Dates: July 8 – August 12, 2017
- See this link for a space-inspired art call – basically post on several different types of social media.
- http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=e7cdc5162b&e=a9f4e3a35b (http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=85235bbbd7&e=a9f4e3a35b)
- ClothPaperScissors has a challenge out right now to submit animal themed tote bags. The group discussed various types and flavors of submissions.
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- If you need display items, Leila is downsizing and has busts, dress forms, clothing racks, easels, grids, and hanging racks available. Contact her atLeila.firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:Leila.email@example.com)
- Say Si will be presenting “Small Scale for a Larger Cause.”
- Public Viewing:
- March 4 – March 23, 2017
- Mon. – Thu.
- 11 AM – 7 PM,
- Fri. & Sat.
- 10 AM – 5 PM
- Small Scale Fundraising Silent Auction Event + Youth Arts Advocacy Awards
- [Artists admitted free + 1 guest for $10]
- March 24, 2017
- 7 to 10:30 PM
- Cotton has been a powerful force in the world.
- Author Stephen Yafa has written compelling books about its social, economic and industrial uses.
- Come hear him lecture on March 5th!
- Get details and your free tickets to this event here: http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=62842e90a8&e=a9f4e3a35b
- Neat fabric blog – http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=a635d23091&e=a9f4e3a35b
- Memories by the Yard is a good place to go for fabric. The folks are nice and they have a good selection of quilt fabric and upholstery fabric. http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=3d1de6dec6&e=a9f4e3a35b
- Jane Dunnewold: new online Creative Strength Training program is founded in the belief that creativity is available to everyone. http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=09f6ae2638&e=a9f4e3a35b(The_New_CST_Announcement1_15_2017)&mc_cid=d258040192&mc_eid=8502a6a42a
- Fabrictopia is giving 20% off everything until the end of the month.
- An artist discussed the Goodwill store on Eisenhower and 35. Says stuff is piled on tables (bring gloves) and priced by the pound. Says there’s great buys on textile tools, needleworking and fabric.
- Good place to eat on Broadway. Does fruit bowls and smoothies. http://fiberartistsofsanantonioblog.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=94da0970a762194a52362a948&id=6a0997f905&e=a9f4e3a35b
- A couple of artists discussed tools to help with eye strain. Craft Optics was presented as a good choice for close work.
- Family Thrift Outlet at 2007 Vance Jackson produced yet another beautiful base for custom dye work worn proudly by an artist.
Three books were presented:
- Gelli Printing by Suzanne McNeill
- Creative Embellishments by Sherrill Kahn
- Quilt Sensations by John Streicker and Jan Thompson
The group decided to support an art journal group with a leader providing a monthly prompt. The group will then bring their journals to the meeting and discuss what they produced and what they learned from it. If interested, you can choose any size commercial art journal, use unbound pages to later bind into a book, or use fabric and create a fabric art journal.
Prompt for February is: mandalas
February’s presentation was Scandinavian Hearts. We watched a Scandinavian Heart get created. We passed out templates and then let everyone do their own interpretation of their hearts. Folks worked in paper and fabric and tried modifying the templates for different weaving patterns to great success.
Prayer Flags presentation and creation. Blanks will be available, please bring whatever you want to use to add to your flag: markers, paint, beads, buttons, other pieces of fabric, etc.
These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.
Month/Location Topic Presenter
March Prayer Flags Victoria
April Rusting Fabric Kitty
May Lutradur Jean
June Indigo Dying Jean
July Kraft-tex Phyllis and Sunnee
August Angel Kitty
Next Presentation: Prayer flags
* If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair