This meeting was called to order at 11:15 am at the San Antonio Garden Center, 2210 N. New Braunfels, San Antonio, TX by President Caryl Gaubatz.
- Minutes for general meeting held on 12 DEC 2016 are approved as electronically transmitted to the members.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Total monies as of 31 DEC 2016: $77,348.36
- In Dec 2016, we spent $900 on awards for the Annual Show and $1000 charitable donation to Say Si
- 3 Educational Projects
- Jean Cacicedo will be our speaker for the February meeting: “Looking Back, Moving Forward: The Creative Journey”
- She will also be conducting a workshop at Southwest School of Art: “Notan: Design in Light and Dark”. Direct questions about this workshop to Mary Ann Johnson.
- International Project: Terry Gay Puckett
- Alejandrina Cue from Cuba will be presenting a workshop in June 2018
- Alejandrina wants to have some of the FASA artists go to Cuba to exhibit.
- Details will follow in the future
- Committee is looking for an appropriate location to display Alejandrina’s artwork as well as conduct the workshop
- Direct question to Terry Gay Puckett about this project.
- Collaboration of FASA and Southwest School of Art
- Bringing Sasha Duerr in 2018, a California artist and designer who has written several books.
- She is the founder of the Permaculture Institute which explores “Regenerative Design”.
- Nominating Committee
- The FASA bylaws requires the nominating committee be formed at the January meeting consisting of 2 appointed members (by president) and 3 elected members (by the membership).
- Lyn Belisle and Phyllis Jordan were appointed by Caryl Gaubatz
- The membership nominated Georgia Zwartjes, Connie Akers, and Silvia Sariana.
MOTION MADE: Leila Reynolds moved to accept Georgia Zwartjes, Connie Akers, and Silvia Sariana; seconded by J’cil Horn; membership voted orally “Aye” with zero “Nay” votes; MOTION CARRIED.
- If the nominating committee cannot find a candidate for a position, that position will remain unfulfilled. The nominating committee should not and is not expected to fulfill an empty position on the board.
- 2nd Vice President (Annual Exhibit)
Jean Dahlgren and Dale Jennsen
- Exhibit is open at Say Si for two more weeks
- Artwork will come down on Saturday, 28 JAN 2017
- Please be present on 28 JAN 2017 at 10:00am to pick up your artwork
- Mary Ann Johnson will be checking the artwork picked up against the roster of all artwork in the exhibit
- There are 10 pieces sold so far
- If you cannot be there for pick up, please arrange to have your artwork secured and notify Mary Ann Johnson if someone else will be picking up your work.
- 3rd Vice President (Runway Show)
- This Style Show is an opportunity to express yourself as an artist
- Tickets will go on sale at the 13 FEB 2017 meeting; $60; if you want reserve a table for the luncheon, keep the checks together in an envelope so the seating assignments won’t be separated.
- Luncheon and Style Show will be in different buildings
- Style Show is theater seating with the models walking down the grand staircase and across a ramp.
- Luncheon will accommodate 300 people; 9 per table
- Also, there will be vendors, the FASA raffle, and silent auction.
- Some student tickets will be available for the Style Show only, $20
- Raffle tickets will also be for sale at the Feb meeting
- Margaret King Stanley showed several items that will be raffled
- Sales of the raffle tickets go to into the FASA scholarship funds which are awarded to local fiber art programs to support local fiber art students.
- Entry forms for the Style Show are due 31 MAR 2017
- FASA can no longer collect a commission on the Style Show items; the artist retains 100% of sale price.
- This year there will be an entry fee of $5 per garment up to $20 for members and up to $35 for non-members. There is no limit on the number of pieces an artist can enter, and the entry fee will not go above $20 per member and $35 for non-member. For example, for a FASA member to enter two items, the entry fee is $10; to enter 4 items, $20; to enter 6 items, $20.
- The entry fee will be collected when the garments are dropped off.
- Drop off for garments will be at Robin Early’s home on 14 APR 2017.
- Donations are humbly accepted to support the Style Show.
- Post cards are available to pick up in the back of the room by the membership table.
- 4th Vice President (Scholarships)
- Genius Bar
- Thank you to Jean Dahlgren and Cynthia Anderson who were the featured artist at the “Genius Bar”
- Needs volunteers for next month to be available to answer questions or brain-storm with members on a project in an area of your expertise during social time prior to the meeting.
- Garden Center
- Garden Center will be hosting a special speaker, Fred Spicer from Birmingham Botanical Gardens, about perennials on16 FEB 2017; 5 – 7:30 pm; 5pm is social hour; 6pm speaker will present about perennials for San Antonio
- $25 per person; if 10 or more attend, $20 per person
- Garden Center would like to have at least 4 people from FASA to attend.
- See Sherry Christensen for more details or questions
- Studio Tour
- Sunday, 26 FEB 2017
- Sue Corbett, weaver, designer, dyer, garment maker
- Meet at 2pm
- More details coming in the next Newsletter
- Deadline is 25th of every month
- 70% open rate on the newsletter
- Please keep sending news items concerning our members
- 4 new members today
- SAQA Journals and Catalogues were awarded as door prizes.
- Community Service
- Days for Girls Project: Ida Spence
- Kits available to check out, sew, and return
- Fidget Blanket
- Kits will be available at next month’s meeting
- These are constructed and given to Alzheimer’s patients
- Say Si
- FASA members can enter items in the auction; “Small Scale for a Larger Cause”
- FASA can enter items up to 13 FEB 2017; bring paperwork and items to the meeting; Peggy Foerster will collect the items
- Auction items must be original, small (no larger than 11 x 17 inches), and please RSVP by 31 JAN 2017
- Preview Party and also Final Night Silent Auction Party; $65 but are free for artists who donate; donating artists can bring a guest for $10.
- Days for Girls Project: Ida Spence
- Genius Bar
- Susie Monday: 1) Wants to speak with anyone who is interested in becoming an individual SAQA member; 2) Susie received a cancellation in her January Artist Journey Workshop, 21 JAN 2017; see Susie for more details.
- Sherri McCauley is the new Texas SAQA Regional Rep (for Central Texas) and has a circle meeting scheduled for Saturday, 14 JAN 2017 at her house.
- Joan Termini: 2-part Tee Shirt quilt workshop; last Friday in January and last Friday in February.
- Leila Reynolds: Susie Monday will be presenting a demo/mini workshop on Creative Language on 17 JAN 2017 at 2pm at the New Braunfels Art League. Free admission, contact Leila for details. http://www.newbraunfelsartleague.org/index.html
Meeting adjourned at 12:02 PM
Rebecca Lilly Segura