November meeting will be Sunday, 13 November at 2pm at Jean Dahlgren’s studio at 240 East Huisache, SATX 78212.
The 9 October FASA Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) meeting adjourned at 2 pm, with a vibrant group of artists in attendance.
Calls for Entry:
- Opportunities/Calls for Entry found at the SAQA page: http://www.saqa.com/calendar.php?ID=9
H2Oh! (All SAQA members) – Deadline: November 30, 2016
- Sacred Threads – sacredthreadsquilts.com/html/callForEntries.html – This biennial exhibition was established to provide a venue for quilters of all faiths who see their work as a connection to the sacred and/or as an expression of their spiritual journey. The first exhibit was held in 2001 and the exhibit is held in June of odd numbered years. Our next exhibit is July 7-23, 2017 and will be held outside Washington DC. The 2017 exhibit of Sacred Threads featuring quilts with stories in Healing, Grief, Peace/Brotherhood, Joy, Inspiration and Spirituality – Oct 1 – Dec 31 2016 entry window.
- FASA Annual Show – held 26 Nov-19 Dec – We need more entries in the FASA annual show! Submit now!!! It is a juried show, open for anyone from Texas and you don’t have to sell your entry. It will be held at Say Si.
The FASA Member non-juried installation “Storylines” will also be exhibited. Guidelines for submission and a suggested “How-to” are on the FASA website. Last week to send in your online submission form!
- CALL FOR ART DEADLINE: OCTOBER 1, 2016 – “It Took A While” November 7-11, 2016 Opening reception: November 8, 2016 6-8 p.m.
Harry Wood Gallery, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
Hosted by Fiber Arts Network
Juried by Molly Koehn and Erika Lynne Hanson – info here: https://azfiberartsnetwork.com/
Places to Shop-Learn-Show:
- Sherry Christenson, Education Chair invited everyone to join her on a Tour of the Marisol de Luna Studio on October 13th. They could meet at the Garden Center Parking lot at 9:15. Studio Tour 10:00-11:00 Lunch downtown to follow.
- Sunnee Rakowitz talked about Art On Broadway, December 3, 2016. There was a few spaces remaining if anyone was interested in being a vendor.
- Sue Corbett passed out flyers for the Sale at Hill Country Retreat, Saturday October 15th and Sunday October 16th.
- Sandy showed her 4 Story Line pieces. The imagery on her fabrics was fascinating, the fabrics came from Las Colche’s on Ogden.
- JoAnn has bought the Hancocks on Military Drive and Hwy 37.
Shirley Bugosh gave a demonstration of paper fabric. It was both interesting and informative. Pat Schulz brought several samples that she has made using this technique. Layers of fabric covered in diluted Matt Medium, add more layers of paper/fabric/ plant material/yarn/photo’s……each layer covered in the Matt Medium. Think ATC cards…
- Presentation Schedule (These will be about 10-15 minutes unless otherwise noted. Volunteers to present your passion are welcome.)
Nov – Furoshiki – Carmen
Dec – Holiday Party – All!
- Next Presentation:
Back by popular demand, Carmen will demonstrate the art of furoshiki (wrapping things in cloth). It’s a great way to wrap Christmas presents and folks that saw the presentation last year and tried it reported rave reviews from recipients. It’s also a great way to wrap just about anything for an easy carry, especially if you plan to consume whatever it is you are carrying and don’t want to mess with a bag after. It’s a wonderful way to use those dye cloths you have out there or various samples from various courses you’ve taken. Come see what all the buzz is about!
- General Comments:
If anyone has any ideas for future presentations or areas of interest, we are absolutely open to exploring them! Please let me know and I’ll add your ideas to our list.
- Possible topics list:
Couture sewing techniques
We all enjoyed Jean’s studio, it’s a wonderful space, and we continue to be VERY GRATEFUL for her generous support to SPUTNIK. We look forward to many, many, many happy, artistic collaborations and discussions in this space.
Hope to see you at the next meeting!
Spirited, Passionate, Uninhibited, Thoughtful, Nurturing, Innovative, Kind (SPUTNIK) Chair